Carnarvon is located 902kms north of Perth and is known as the tropical gateway to the North. Boasting the longest jetty in the north at 1493 metres which offers superb fishing.
The Gascoyne River region was first settled in 1876 and by the 1880’s there was a number of settlers in the area. They named the distric Carnarvon , possibly after Lord Carnarvon, the then British Secretary of State.
In 1884 Carnarvon was linked to Perth by telegraph line. During the period from 1897 to 1907 Carnarvon suffered from a series of tidal floods and bulwarks were erected along the foreshore. The whole inlet is now referred to as the Fascine. The same period saw the construction of the jetty.
In 1964 NASA opened a tracking station to monitor information on orbiting space craft. Two years later OTC installed The Dish which is now a prominent landmark in Carnarvon.
Carnarvon plantations produce a great variety of tropical fruits such as bananas, mangoes, avocadoes and ruby grapefruit. In addition, a thriving commercial fishing market is operated out of Carnarvon specialising in prawns, pink snapper and scallops. Salt mining is also an important industry for the region with a mine at Lake Macleod 65kms north of Carnarvon.