Geraldton is located 424kms north of Perth and is the biggest city north of Perth.
The city is located on Champion Bay, discovered by Commander D Dring in the colonial schooner “Champion” in January 1840.
In 1850 surveyor Augustus Gregory was instructed to survey a townsite at this place. By March 1850 Gregory had surveyed 40 half acre allotments , and on June 3 1851 the townsite of Geraldton was declared. The name was most probably given by Surveyor General J.S. Roe, and honours the colony’s Governor at that time, Captain Charles Fitzgerald .
The expansion of mining around Northampton and Geraldton during the 1860’s made Champion Bay the only major port north of Fremantle. In 1879 the first Government railway line in Western Australia was laid between Northampton and Geraldton. The 1890’s saw the boom in the Murchison Goldfields.
Modern day Geraldton is now known as the ‘Sun City’ because of the average of 8 hours sunshine per day and a warm dry climate.
Currently the city of Geraldton is undergoing a $25 million facelift to literally turn the city around to face the shoreline. The plan is to have walk trails and landscaped gardens along the beachfront along with alfresco dining establishments and shopping outlets.
Geraldton is well known for its kilometres of long white beaches which attracts swimmers, windsurfers and fishermen as well as those who just love beach walking.
There’s a plentiful supply of accommodation to suit all budgets and personal requirements.
Marine Terrace is a good starting point when looking for your dining needs with a wide variety of cafes, restaurants and hotels.